Sunday, May 12, 2013

3 Music Lessons That I Learned From My Mom



They may be homemakers or full-time mothers but in today's day and age, mothers are not getting enough credit.

They are raising children and teaching them the skills to survive in this world and even though society places a limited value on them, there is much more that society doesn't see.

In honor of Mother's Day, we thought we would share some lessons my mother taught me about music and life.

1. "Your crazy if you try to be the best at everything"

My mothers best advice is just that. She taught me that when you work and practice you may not see results right away but you will be learning a skill that can last you a lifetime. As a result, I learned to pace myself in my music practice and in my future. Learning to be able pace yourself for the future and to focus on one goal at a time was the ultimate motivator for me to become successful.

2. "Have fun and enjoy the best that life has to offer"

Being a musician, you learn to be very critical of yourself if you mess up a run or chord. It's all a learning experience. Even though I can never get back the time I invested in practicing I have to make the best of this. My mom wasn't the best at everything but she learned to have fun an enjoy every moment.

3. "Your never too young to stop learning"

I remember when I first started my first business when I young. I was selling lemonade it was a complete failure. No traffic meant no sales. I remember I sat there for hours and no one would show up. I had that look of optimism on my face. Then sadness two hours later. This would then shape me to always strive to become better in every experience. When my mom presented that saying to me, this would be the guiding principle for me to receive an education, learn music and most of help pass this on to others.

We want to wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day to everyone.

Sincerely,


The Musician's Forum