Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Everything You Learned About Practicing Is A Lie?




Greetings, Everyone

I have been away for quite a while (maybe too long) but I am back. Let's just say that life got busy for a bit but have settle down. In the time I have been away I have been reflecting on my practicing and my playing. I have been not focusing so much on the blog but I am BACK!.


To be quite honest, everything you about practicing is a lie. For many years, I was always told that the best way to learn a song or practice a scale is to sit in a room with a piano and watch Youtube. (I am not knocking Youtube because its an awesome resource for musicians I have learned a lot from it)

In the 21st century, there is a new way of practicing and its called APPLICATION. If you can't apply what your learning its no use to you. Everything involving application is important when it comes to practicing. Whether it's learning a scale or learning a new chord movement for a song the key is APPLICATION!.

I have been around many musicians that can sound nice in one key however when it comes to doing the same thing in a different key they can't do it or just press that magic TRANSPOSE button. When your practicing you need to apply the same tricks and runs in other keys. You never know when that one keyboard run can get you out of a major jam.

Take the skills that you learn from practicing and see what it can do to your life because it will make a difference.

The message that I want everyone to take away from this is that you need to apply what you learned not just in one area but in all.