Sunday, March 10, 2013

You'll Be A Horrible Musician At Least Once

I have been a horrible musician at least once. The first chords that I ever learned were the blues chords such as C7, F7 and G7. It took me around three weeks to memorize those chords. When I first decided to play piano, my goal was to sound like every top musician in the world. Then reality hit me and said you may not make it there however, if you get to enjoy what you do and share your passion with others that is what will make it worthwhile. 

Throughout, the course of my years of playing I have learned that you are going to suck at a lot of things at least once. For example, I remember the first time I was playing with a group. It was a disaster. I was hitting wrong notes in the scale, wrong chords and at the time my mentor was just giving me that death stare. It wasn't a fun experience. That meant I had to go back to the drawing board and regain confidence in playing public. Less then a month later after perfecting those chords and building my confidence. I proved to my mentor and to myself that I can do anything. It took a failure to bring me to where I am now. It would have been awesome if their was some way I could have corrected the sucking sooner.

Here they are:

1. Growth

If you want to grow you need to expand your chord and scale vocabulary. That means not playing the same chords every time you practice. That means expanding your thinking. Take the time out of the day and focus on how to expand your playing.

2. Speed

I am not saying that your going to be a music master overnight. What I am saying is that you have to go at a speed that works for you. When you are growing quickly that means your are succeeding. When I started learning to do runs on the piano I would find that song on the radio (yes we still have that) I would repeat it over and over again trying to get that run. I would take me weeks and even months just to figure that run and include that in my playing.

Let's be honest with ourselves and with our playing as musicians. Take a hard look at yourself and evaluate the progress that you have made. See what areas you can improve on. If you practice and apply some hard work you can accomplish anything. Good Luck and Best Wishes.